How hard is it to get fingerprinted in this town?

CB: Part of my Visa application is getting a NSW Police National Criminal Record Check. This involves filling out a simple form, then going to the police station nearest to where I live to have my fingerprints taken for a rather large sum of money. Easy, right?

Wrong.

Both the information pack from the US Consulate General and the NSW Police website say that you can ring to make an appointment, but this isn't actually the case. Because the fingerprinting machine is in the custody area of all police stations, members of the public can't use it while (alleged) criminals are being processed. Which is pretty much all the time.

So the whole process boils down to me ringing the police station and asking if its alright for me to pop down to have my fingerprints taken. So far, all I've got is a lot of disinterested police officers telling me that they're either just a shopfront station and don't do fingerprints, or that I don't live close enough and perhaps I'd like try another police station which serves my area.

This could take some time...

0 comments: