Last day of work


It's been a weird couple of days. From being elated after finally receiving the last piece of required information for my visa application, I've now experienced the other end of the emotional spectrum as I find myself without a job.

Vein hasn't been doing well for some time now - slow business for months and a lack of new prospects - and management finally decided that things had to be cut back. Unfortunately, I was the easy target as I'm pretty much leaving anyway to go to the US. But I'm not too stressed about things although it's certainly not an ideal situation - there's some severance and holiday pay owing that should see me through.

In a way, the other staff are in a worse situation as they have to decide whether they want to help Vein get out of this rut or look after number one and look for new jobs. Things certainly didn't sound too positive when they were outlined to us today - huge tax debts and worse. It happens to so many small businesses, I just didn't expect it to happen to a company I worked for.

So this is the crew out for drinks on my last afternoon: Kristen (account exec), Clare (most awesome studio manager), Katherine (designer), me and Paul (designer and Flash guru). Missing is Luisa, the art director, who unfortunately had to be at a design conference today. A great bunch of people who loved working with, who I will miss terribly and for who I truly hope for the best.

0 comments: