Super Sunday!

Yesterday was the day of the biggest sporting event in the US... one that households tune in to watch by the millions, one that true sports fans acknowledge as the ultimate test! And no, I'm not talking about that silly old Super Bowl - this is the Widmer Bowl, contested annually on the same day as that other football game by Widmer Bros employees, ex-employees, friends of employees (ie, me!) and anybody else who feels like joining in.

Having experienced my first game of American football at Thanksgiving, I was a little more prepared this time (shoes with grip and a change of clothes!) and probably contributed a bit more to the team effort. Seriously, last time I had no idea of what was going on and where I should be on the field! I was also helped by the fact that players wore detachable tags around their waists, so you could effect a "tackle" simply by pulling off a tag. It certainly helped when Colin, who is over six feet tall and over 60 pounds heavier than me came storming my way:

Yes, my eyes are closed. But can you blame me? I managed to fend off his palm with my right hand and snag the tag with my left, all without seriously injuring myself. Here's some more action shots:

Yay to Christine for coming and taking some shots for us before she had to head off to work, and for dealing with flat batteries in both of my cameras, whoops!

The game ended at 8 touchdowns all, including a game-tying miracle pass from Colin on the last play of the day, curse him and his athletic skills! Much fine Widmer product was imbibed at half time and after the game, including a bit of a drinking contest to determine the real winner, during which I proved that all these so-called "big drinkers" from the US are nothing compared to a boy from Down Under. :-)

And the Super Bowl itself? Actually a fantastic game of sport (despite my general misgivings about American Football), with the result not determined until the very end. And we always love an underdog beating the overwhelming favourite, don't we? And as a guy in advertising, some of the ads were quite fantastic as well.

0 comments: