Lunar Eclipse Night!

I cannot recall the last time that I stood and stared at the moon. Sunsets are usually the more dramatic activity, but tonight was different. Cam and I don't get out of town much and a lunar eclipse always makes for a good excuse. It also was a good excuse to visit our favorite wedding hill, Rocky Butte. It was the highest point we could think of and since it miraculously wasn't raining in Portland, we took off, prepared with cameras and food for later.

We rented a Zipcar and got up the hill with plenty of time to spare. I wasn't sure if it would be completely packed or deserted. But it had to be one or the other. As it turned out, there wasn't much parking when we arrived and shortly after, there was no parking at all. Families poured into the park, equipped with cameras, telescopes, astronomy books and of course, all their kids, who couldn't care less about the moon having a shadow on it. One kid was enraptured with the rotating spotlight in the middle of the park and I overheard his dad say "Hey bud, the moon's over here!"

Many people came poorly equipped and were disappointed when the moon didn't show up with their cell phone camera.

I don't think I have ever seen Cam so excited about a photographic endeavor. He took nearly 200 photos in two hours of the phases passing through. I of course, had to do my best with the littler camera that I had and took some of these great beauties.



It was a super fun time and there were definitely a lot of interesting people there as well. But for Cam and I, we will be visiting Rocky Butte for the next galactic event, whatever and whenever that shall be... stay tuned for actual REALLY GOOD photos that Cam took!!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, Cam... old bean, that grin could not get any cheesier if you *REALLY* tried...

    Nice shots, both the candid personal ones and the moon going through it's little journey.

    Cheers

    T

     
  2. Oh, but I *DID* try! :-)