Still waiting...

I just passed 90 days since I sent in my I-765 (Employment Authorization Document form) the other day, and since I hadn't heard anything from the USCIS since early June, I thought I'd give them a call. Especially as it says this on their website:

If you filed a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, and it has been longer than 90 days since you filed and you haven't gotten an update from us within the last 60 days, and have not seen any public notice that addresses your case type, please don't wait the extra 30 days. Call customer service immediately.

Well, that sounds like 60 days without hearing something is cause for some sort of alarm, doesn't it? Out of the ordinary, maybe? Surely I should have that piece of paper in my hands by now, right? So I give them a call on their National Service Center line. After going through a billion automated options and recorded announcements, I finally get to speak to a human and explain my situation.

To my horror, he proceeded to tell me that I am still within normal processing time and my EAD may still take up to 90 more days to be approved. 90 more days!?!!! Another three whole months! How can anyone be expected to emigrate to a new country and have to remain unemployed for up to six months? The guy could sympathise with my frustration, but there wasn't anything he could do about it... he can only report on what his computer is telling him. He did let me know that I'm meant to have a biometrics scan done as part of this application and has set that in motion, so at least something is being done.

What's really worrying me is that it's almost a month since I sent in my I-485 (Application for Residency) and I haven't even got a receipt notice for that yet... I am dreading that phone call...

0 comments: