Job seeking

As soon as I got my employment authorisation, I started to set the wheels in motion to find a job ASAP.

Even before I had left Sydney for Portland, I had singled out 52 Ltd as a company that could help me: a graphic design recruitment agency that works solely in Portland, helping designers find full-time, part-time or contract work. So I sent them my résumé and portfolio just before Christmas and am now waiting to hear back from them. They did tell me on the phone that they normally review portfolios on a Monday but that due to the holidays, there may be a bit of a delay to their normal schedule.

The other application I have in the pipeline is to the enormous independent ad agency, Wieden + Kennedy. This agency was founded in Portland and now has offices scattered all across the globe: New York, London, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Shanghai and Delhi. There are 337 people employed in Portland alone, and they boast clients like Nike, Coke and Starbucks. Basically, I'd kick myself if I didn't at least try to work for an agency of this calibre.

So I went to their website where I had to fill in a curious little questionnaire, ticking off personality traits and skills that matched me. Then I just hit a button and my answers were "photocopied" – complete with green light buzzing across the screen – and sent on their way.

A few days later, I received this email:

Hi Cameron,

You sound like an interesting person. We want to know more. We want to see what you can do. Send us something before January 15 and maybe win a prize.

The content is up to you, but here's our guideline for format: a pdf document, 20 pages or less, formatted 11x17 inches landscape, no larger than 6MB. It will be viewed on screen and not printed, so design with this in mind.
To be eligible for prizes and adventure, please send to seeking@wk.com before January 15.

Thanks, we're looking forward to learning more about you.

Wow! So I'm guessing from this that they don't want to see my everyday portfolio here... what they're after definitely seems to be an exercise in creativity and communication: a single chance to impress them with my skills. My thoughts were confirmed by another email a couple of days later:

Dan Wieden and David Kennedy created W+K as a place for people to express their voice and create the best work of their lives. This place depends on those people.

We created wk.com/seeking to meet more talented and interesting people. Specifically, people who could work in our creative department - people who can tell a story well in all sorts of media, people who solve problems with ideas. We seek designers, writers and art directors, but expect to find a few artists, product designers, editors, people who create all kinds of things and who don’t fit into a neat basket. People with experience, people who’ve never created an ad in their life. You maybe.

We are on track to receive 6000 profiles by January 1. We will fly 50 of those people to Portland in late March for an adventure. We’ll put you up for a couple of days, you can check out Portland, we’ll meet each other, no strings attached. It ought to be pretty incredible.

Next step, if you haven’t already, is to submit a PDF to seeking@wk.com by January 15. Please follow the specs that Robin sent.

The content of the PDF is open. Tell us your story, show us what you can do. Surprise us, delight us, amaze us.


We can’t wait to see what everyone sends. This is going to be fun.

Even more wow! 6,000 applicants??? It's kind of daunting, but hey, I got into Randwick TAFE's Graphic Design course all those years ago by beating out 3,000 other prospective students! So I've been working away on my document since we got back from Idaho Falls and I'm pretty happy with the way it's turning out so far. There's still a lot of work to do, but at least I have the advantage of a really interesting story to tell! Here's a tiny glimpse of a page that I'm working on:


3 comments:

  1. I got a reply stating that the last day for submitting entries was Dec 31. Well, I guess they added an extra 15 days to bloat the numbers.

    Good luck to both of us!

     
  2. More to the point, I think they stagger all the entries into groups so that everyone has the same time period to prepare their PDFs. It wouldn't be fair if someone had two months and someone else only had 5 days, would it? Remember that the get together in Portland isn't until the end of March.

    Best of luck to you too!

     
  3. Hey matey, did they tell you any date by which they'd get back to you? I was told Jan 15. But now seeing that they've added 15 extra days,I guess it'll be Jan 30 or so.

    Also, you got a point there about the time thing for the latecomers. In my case, it was almost done before I applied to seeking, save for the conversion to pdf.