Job Hunting Update

In short: still looking!

I had lunch with my cousin Meg (I finally determined that she's my first cousin, once removed!) last week, who – by a pure coincidence – works in the design industry as well. She looked at my book and gave me the names of some people to contact, as well as adding my résumé to her list of freelancers to use in peak periods, saying, "Looking at your book and understanding your experience and skills make me feel quite comfortable about adding your name to that pool as a production artist, designer, and senior designer. This wide range of skills will be helpful when a variety of needs come at us." Quite a vote of confidence, I must say!

Like many other people in town, she uses 52 Ltd to fill a lot of positions, but also pointed me towards Jackie Mathys Creative Staffing, who mainly fill production (rather than creative) positions. After emailing my portfolio through yesterday, I had a long talk on the phone with Jackie herself today. I could sense that she was a little reluctant to consider a senior designer like me for production only positions, but after talking about my experience and reviewing my portfolio, she could see that I'm not a "prima donna, no gruntwork for me" type of designer. I love getting my hands dirty, working as part of a team and finishing what I started. So, I'm on her books now, although she's a bit short of clients to place designers with at the moment.

I also finally got an actual interview with 52 Ltd organised today! I see 52 Ltd as more of a long term solution to my employment prospects, as they will place creative positions, but they've taken a long time to get back to me. Apart from assuring me that I was on their "yes list" – meaning my portfolio impressed them – I hadn't really heard from them before today. So I'm meeting with their Talent Manager on Thursday week... can't wait!

0 comments: