Cam's thoughts on his new career as an astronaut

There are probably some of you out there who have read Christine's last post and are now sitting there scratching your head. "Is she serious?", you're asking yourself. Or, "You can't do that for a wedding!" Well, here's what I think about the matter...

One of the things that I love most about Christine is that she sees the world through unconventional eyes. Doing things the same as everyone else is not for her. And it has a wonderful effect on me, because it makes me look at things differently as well, question why things should be done just because that's the way things are. And her vision of our wedding as space opera is just such an example of that. At the very least, there's a lovely metaphor of the exploration of our future lives together to be had.

Now, I've done the traditional wedding: itchy grey suit and tie for me, (admittedly lovely) white dress for my ex-wife, marriage celebrant in the beautiful grounds of the family property in the Southern Highlands near Sydney, the whole nine yards. It was a great day and everything was perfect, but I don't want or expect this to be replicated with this wedding. I - like Christine - am after something new and different, something that sums up our adventurous spirit and the way we want to live our life together. Free. Exciting. Unrestrained.

I think it fair to note here that if I had come up with something for this wedding by myself, it wouldn't have been as "far out" as what Christine is imagining. But her enthusiasm for the idea is so infectious, that I can't help but be excited by the idea myself. And getting Christine enthused and passionate about the ceremony itself is very important, because in a lot of ways I don't think she ever imagined herself as getting married at all.

It's easy to think is that Christine isn't taking the idea of marriage seriously, that this is just some kind of big joke to her, but nothing could be further from the truth. Christine and I have talked extensively about the responsibilities and promises inherent in a marriage, and she is fully aware of all of these things. (In fact, I've probably made extras sure of her comprehension because of the way my first marriage collapsed.) It's just the actual ceremony that she worries about, and being able to shape it the way she wants is very important to her. Her need in this case is far more important than mine, so I'm up for whatever makes her happy.

In the end, it doesn't matter to me what we wear or do, as long as the legal requirements of the State of Oregon are met, and - more importantly - as long as we truly mean what we say when we exchange our vows. The external appearance is fleeting; it's what's in our hearts that truly matters.

1 comments:

  1. Well, Im all 4 free, unconventional, liberal, atheistic,concept or unconcept mood. The world's challenge 4 u guys is since u may or may not truly believe in the permanence of anything beyond anything trancendental beyong ur senses... how do u explain u guys faaling or rather growing in2 love? And once the legal requirements were met 4 Cam 2 stay here 4ever I there4 challenge u 2 divorce each other since niether 1 of u r really serious about permanence even after ur serious talk about ur previous marriage and the collapse of her parents marriage vows which no doubt shattered her primal trust. it's like @ the back of each other's mind u r expecting that the institution of marriage is a complete joke and sooner or later this facade of ever after will crumble or erode slowly.

    but wot the heck! have a wonderful life 2gether and enjoy ur instant gratification while it last! here's hoping u will stay in love through the ebbing of the tides and crashing of the waves and stretching of the rubbers bands!