Seriously, its getting too geeky on here. I need to fill this space with some gore! It hasn't been all puppy dog tails over here. Cam has been working REALLY hard with a full time job and taking care of my crippled self. Tomorrow he is off to the great land of San Francisco to do amazing things and move ahead in the world. Me, on the other hand has just managed to make Mac and Cheese by myself without toppling over and calling 911. No but really, I am doing ok these days and I have my fingers crossed that two weeks from now, my doctor will give me good news like "go ahead and walk out of this office."
For the last two months, it has been a bit of a hardship and I have been sitting around a lot but Cam and I have gotten out and done all sorts of crazy stuff that normal people with broken ankles don't do.
Lets take work for example. For a month now, I have been helping the masses in a wheelchair with a laptop on my lap where I can sort out all their needs on the spot. It's been very gratifying for me and my customers to not have to stand behind a counter, stare each other down or print out giant receipts for them to sign. I take credit cards wirelessly and send them invoices via email and most people are "impressed" by my abilities although it is nothing special. It's how I get by. In reality, its just pure laziness on my part. One gentleman told me the other day that he was "glad the store hired people like me" and quickly backed it by saying "my happiness was pleasant to work with." Yeah, yeah. I do feel like people treat my like they have just entered a Goodwill sometimes, smiling instantly down on me when they came in with a frown. I can't say the wheelchair has hurt sales. I actually think business is doing better.
Outside of the store, the wheelchair has been a novelty. I can sit down in long lines. Women in heels run to get the door for me. People in coffee shops offer help when I am just sitting quietly by myself waiting for Cam. I think I have renewed hope for the human race at this point. Everyone loves to be a hero helping someone who "looks" like they are in need.
Everyone has hurt themselves this summer. As we rolled around town yesterday observing the Blues Fest by the waterfront, I was counting the casts, crutches and fellow wheelchairs go by. I used to think it was a heightened sensitivity, but I am pretty sure now there is no mistake, people are getting out there and slamming themselves. Can't blame them, this summer has been gorgeous. We have been able to go on a road trip, camping, festivals, concerts, or just out for drinks as if my hinderance were nothing more than a skin rash.
Other than my new profound outlook on life, let it be known that its going to be an exciting week of Christine's Birthday Festivus! With the bad leg and all, the video project of everyone dressed up as dinosaurs in the forest will be postponed to another date. I might just be up for sitting around in good company with a cold beer in my hand on a hot summer evening. Oh and Im sure Cam has some sort of crazy party in space planned for me *wink wink* right darling??

0 comments: