Cam's 40 mile bike ride!

Yesterday was the first sunny day Portland has seen for many a week, so I took advantage of it by heading out to ride the Springwater Trail. This is an old train line through south-east Portland that has been converted into a multi-use path. My eventual goal was Powell Butte, another of the extinct volcanic plugs that are dotted around the area. The view from the top is spectacular, possibly even more so that Rocky Butte, where we had our wedding.

The climb up to the top is along rough dirt paths through beautiful forest, but the relatively flat summit is meadow and old orchards, both remnants of pioneer times in the area.

Here's another QuickTime VR panorama for you... the view starts off looking towards Mount Hood in the ESE and rotates anti-clockwise past the Columbia River Gorge and Mount Adams (which can just be seen peeking over the top of the closer hills) to Mount St Helens to the north.



Click and hold inside the movie to scroll from one end of the view to the other. You can also zoom in (Shift key) and out (Control key or the PC equivalent!).

Of course, I got a flat tyre on my bike at the very furtherest point of my trip and had to stop every couple of miles on the 20 mile return journey to pump it up enough to continue! I was certainly sore and tired when I got home!

0 comments: