Memory

The child walked up to his mother and asked "Mommy? Did I used to live in your belly?"

Startled, the mother said "Yes sweetie, you certainly did. Do you remember that?" The child contemplated and then nodded.
"Yes, it was really dark and I was curled up reeaal tight, like this." With that, the child brought his fists up to his small face and crouched in a ball. Becoming a bit more alarmed, the mother asked if he had been comfortable there. The child replied, "Yes, it was ok but there was something poking me." The intense memory of displacing a rib rushed back to the Mother's memory just as the child added, "and there was something loud always behind me." During the pregnancy, the baby had his head facing downwards as the Mother's heart was always beating over his back.
Suddenly, the child gasped "Mommy! Did I hurt you?" and with tears rolling down her face the Mother hugged her son to her tightly.
"Yes dear, you hurt me"
"It hurt me too, Mommy," the child said through her hair.

-Conversation with Lee Ann about an account between her friend and her four year old.

0 comments: